Thursday, July 8, 2010

Life in Newfoundland

   My first week here in St. John's seemed to crawl by, which I didn't mind because I was adjusting to the team here and the temperature! lol But, now that my second week is nearly finished I'm starting to wish the time would slow down a bit. Sometimes I don't even want to stop long enough to blog about this amazing experience, but I want everyone to know what is going on this beautiful place! 
   First off, the church I am working with up here, New Life Fellowship, hosted a World Cup party in downtown St. John's the other day as a way of meeting some local people and really sharing Christ's love through a shared love of international sporting events lol This was definitely a first for me, considering my soccer "expertise" begins and ends with watching Bend it Like Beckham. But, oh my goodness- the people I was able to meet and talk with were amazing! I'm usually surrounded by Texans who have lived in Texas their whole lives, or a nearby state, but you come up to Canada, especially St. John's, and people are from all around! I met a man who had lived in so many different places I can only dream about, and all the time that I'm marveling at how culturally aware he is, in the back of my mind, or rather my heart, I felt God really just stressing that throughout all the culture that man had experienced in his lifetime (he was an older gentleman) that he had yet to experience a personal relationship with his Savior. I would like to tell you that I immediately found the courage to speak lovingly and intelligently about who Christ is and why this man should know Him, but I paused. I paused just long enough to doubt myself and my ability to be a witness to this man, and the pastor I am working with stepped in. What I realized afterwards is I was putting all of the burden of witnessing to this man on myself, I was not stepping aside and letting go of my pride long enough to let the Holy Spirit use me and teach me. God is teaching me more everyday than I ever expected. I assumed going on this mission trip that I would be able to teach others, that God would use me to teach the lost, but what I did not fully consider was the lessons God would be teaching me. 
   I have met so many wonderful, friendly lost people that it breaks my heart. Please pray for me to let the Holy Spirit move in my life so I can share in the experience of teaching these people about our Savior. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment